Sunday, October 4, 2009

The relaxing side of Crete


Reaching back now a few weeks, and skipping over all the Deutschland & Osterreich since then, here are some more of my favorites from beautiful Creta.  I did actually do some work there, despite what all of you must think!, but this slideshow is all about the beaches, and the resort at which they were kind enough to put up the exercise staff.  Sometimes it's actually GOOD to be staff and not a worker bee.


This was the view from outside my bungalow door.  Honestly, as much as I enjoy Germany, do you think I wanted to leave this place?


The hotel pool. Two levels: the deeper swimming lanes actually above the shallow stand-under-the-cascading-umbrellas end.  Now raise your hand if you want to kill me...


Another view of the pool, with the Med beyond but down a treacherous rocky cliff.  This was taken from the balcony off the dining room -- at which we were offered a varied buffet each morning & evening.  Continental fare, Greek specialties...but to my disappointment, lamb only twice out of six days.  I craved it nightly.  Feta always, olives and olive oil in abundance, and souvlaki often.  Yasu!


The chapel behind the pool.  Seemingly every home of substance, and even some of not, had a personal chapel in Crete.  They were among my favorite sights no matter where the roads took me there.


I never did get the story of this fort, but it was on the road between Souda Bay (where work was) and the far-flung hotel.  I like to imagine the eras it could have seen, as this island has quite a significant history.  Myceans, Macedonians, Romans, Turks, Germans, Carthaginians?, and Lord knows who else...


These were in abundance too -- I call them Church Mailboxes, though surely they are for offerings and not the postal service.  Every home without a chapel, and even some with one, seemed to have one in front.


This was the island I swam around when I made it to a beach.  Much harder than it seemed, it turned out!  See where the water is dark blue?  Well, the calmness in the foreground turned to seriously choppy action out there, and it was a struggle to keep my distance from the sharpest rocks I've seen in many years.  I survived to tell the tale though...and was transfixed by the water's incredible clarity the whole time.


Hey, fun boys -- get a room!  These backgammon players in teeny bikinis made my day.


Ah, life's a beach.  As I down my tasty Mythos pilsner, I contemplate joining in the backgammon fun.  Yes, mesh shorts are classy...I didn't know there'd be beaches!  Board shorts were not on my packing list.


Another beach down the road, just off a rocky peak but filled with soft sand, had the classic Greek fishing boats inside the cove as well.  I was expecting Zorba to appear at any minute, and rally the locals.

 
My future home.  When I offered 100 American dollars for it, I was refused, much to my chagrin.  I'll be back to renegotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment